Credits to: Bob Sneed, Harry Pellow
Q: In converting my 356 from 6 volt to 12, I'm considering using the larger diameter, higher output generator used in the late 912s and VWs. Does anybody have any thought about doing this other than cosmetics?
A: If you want to convert to the Large Diameter 912 Generator, you will
- The Large Diameter Generator
- The Generator Strap for the Large Diameter Generator
- The special Fan that fits only the Large Diameter 912 Generator, and its special hole covering piece that goes on the opposite side of the Fan from where every other piece goes!
- Both of the two Special Generator Shroud Pieces that fit only the Large Diameter 912 Generator
- The Special hub for the Fan that fits only the Large Diameter 912 Generator
- The Special Nut for the Fan (The same as the Generator Pulley Nut, but different from all previous Fan Nuts that weren't the same as Generator Pulley Nuts.)
- A Larger reinforcing plate that goes over the 2 studs to help hold the Generator shroud.
And, since the Generator Stand for the Large Diameter Generator Stand has the oval-shaped hole, you can only fit the C/912 Breather Can to it, not the Flip Top Box 356A/B Breather!
Frankly, wouldn't it be easier to get a small Diameter early 912 12V Generator? Then all your existing stuff will work OK.