Text by Barry Lee Brisco, photos provided by Ken Daugherty
At the introduction of the 356B model in Sep. 1959, the rear reflectors changed style and location. US export cars generally had a reflector that was positioned above the taillight. European cars generally had them below the bumper. According to Brett Johnson's Guide to Authenticity, "Either configuration was correct, it was a customer option". If the lower position was not used, the hole was filled with a slotted chrome screw (shown at right). In late 1960 vinyl plugs were used (shown at right in photo below). Apparently the lower hole was always drilled in the body, but the upper hole was only drilled if the reflector was going to be mounted above the bumper.