Paint Formulas for a 356
- Category: Troubleshooting & Repair
- Created on Friday, 24 September 2010 21:21
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 10 October 2012 21:35
- Hits: 1896
By Bob Cannon
Question: What are the formulas to get the original Porsche paint colors?
Answer: The German paint company Glasurit has an online resource that provides mixing formulas for original Porsche 356 colors. You can use it as follows:
1. Go to the English version of the Glasurit website (note: clicking on the following link will open a new browser window, which will enable you to continue to follow the remaining steps listed here): http://www.glasurit.com/english/start.htm
2. Click on the "Color Online" bar on the left
3. Enter the following information: - Manufacturer's code = POR - Colour code = Enter number (see books or Charlie White's website) - Paintline = Leave "All" checked
4. You choose "Start Query" and then click the Paintline code link on the resulting page. This takes you to the mixing formula page for that color code. Print the page for your paint shop's use.
Caveat: We received the following from a 356Talk subscriber regarding Glasurit paint codes: "This is a nice service, but I would like to offer one man's negative experience with the Glasurit formulas as posted. Last year we were attempting to get a formula for Aquamarine Blue Metallic for a 56 Cab. After "discovering" the Glasurit site, I jumped for joy when I saw the formula in 55 line paint. When we mixed it as posted, it was not even close to the to small sample of the original paint we had for the car. So, people should probably be warned to use these formulas at their own risk. Some may be correct; some are clearly incorrect."