Today was a short but fun day making the car look more like a car. I got the speedster seats installed with zero problems. Seats and GT seat bases came from Russ at Fibersteel and, unlike some things you buy that did not originally come on your car, these fit perfectly the first time. Kudos to Russ & Fibersteel.
File comment: Mounting the GT seat bases was straight forward.....once I got the seat runners on the correct sides of the car. The above tunnel shift tower had to come off as it is too wide for the seat bases to be installed while in place. Fortunately the seat bases do not need to come out that often.
DSCN3126.JPG [ 109.41 KiB | Viewed 492 times ]
File comment: Attaching the seat was simple enough. Only 4 screws, and the seats can be removed with the shift system in place (but not the seat bases). I tried several lengths of bolts for the rear height adjusters to find ones that gave me the seat rake I liked.
DSCN3132.JPG [ 114.78 KiB | Viewed 492 times ]
After the seats were in, I could install the rest of the shift system. Since it had been pre fitted and tested it went back together without problems - and I can get into all gears!
File comment: Bead blasted and painted all the parts steering column beige so they will fit in better with the oatmeal carpeting to be installed later.
DSCN3136.JPG [ 82.25 KiB | Viewed 492 times ]
File comment: My original shift knob was long gone however Eric Cherneff of 356 tool fame sold me a nice original with great patina about 18 months ago. Perfect finishing touch.
DSCN3133.JPG [ 77.99 KiB | Viewed 492 times ]
After the shift system was in, I installed the rear tan mats from International Merchantile (Terry did a small run last year) and the Coco Mats.
File comment: I went with the "natural & white dot" pattern Coco Mats to give a little bit of contrast with the oatmeal carpeting.
DSCN3137.JPG [ 94.14 KiB | Viewed 492 times ]
File comment: Speedster seats were upholstered by Tony at Autobahn Interiors in San Diego. In the front I only installed the Coco Mats for now as the mats and drivers floor board will need to come out to adjust the clutch and throttle linkages. Plus I need to buy the snap fittings that go on the front rubber mat so I can snap it to the fittings on the floor boards. I also have to remove the shift tower again to fit the tunnel rubber mat and cut it around the shift tower and heater knob.
DSCN3140.JPG [ 107.93 KiB | Viewed 492 times ]
Since I was on a roll and things had gone quickly I decided to see if I could install the soft top. Car is starting to really look like a car again!
File comment: I got the top installed all by myself, but it was not easy. It really is a two person job.
DSCN3141.JPG [ 90.03 KiB | Viewed 492 times ]
All that is between me and the road is a motor, putting in all the various fluids and grease, adjusting linkages and getting the car aligned. I plan to put my spare 12V generator on the 1960 super motor that I took out of the car last year and drive with that while the faux cam motor is being built. I will also have to fit the Sebring exhaust and replace the leaking rear main seal (the leak that started this whole restoration saga
). I hope to be driving and getting things sorted in a couple of weeks. Building the faux cam motor will happen in parallel. Thanks for following along!